Monday 29 December 2014

A Bit Of Fun With Colour

It's Monday again..... ugh!

 (faffing about with collage images)

I'm not a fan! I think if I had the option, Mondays would - every one of the vile things - be DUVET DAYS!!! So to combat the bleakness of the general Monday effect, AND the VERY cold English winter, I thought I'd just throw a bit of colour at the day. So here we go!

Never Underestimate The Humble Coloured Pencil!


I have a scary amount of coloured pencils, and I managed to keep them all due the convenient fact they pack up REALLY small! See - lookee....


...I mean, it may not seem a lot to some epic art supply hoarders, but it seems a heckuva lot to me! They represent quite a few years of judicious investment and have been worth every penny.

For long enough (ooooo, eons ago) I only used coloured pencils for dry shading and blending, mixing with graphite to ease the blending process and make the colours more natural. I don't have much from that time but I do have this picture of sea gulls that I did as a gift for my uncle WAAAAY back when -

I'm really sorry for the slightly iffy clarity there...it's behind glass in a frame and I honestly couldn't face the hassle of undoing it all just for photos so I hope it's clear enough....kinda.  This was done using my then favourite set of Faber Castell blendable coloured pencils which I pretty much wore down to stumps over the years. Again, I used graphite as a blending base to mute the colours and then added all of the detail with a Faber architect's graphics ink pens, which came in a handful of separate pieces and could be filled with lovely india ink. Very sexy pens they were too. Some bugger nicked them years ago and I still wish I had them as they had the finest and most reliable points ever! Here're some close-ups -



Again, sorry for the slightly gammy photography...the glass kind of mucks about with the tone somewhat, but you get the idea.

Aaaaanyhoo, I ended up using mainly ink pens for years and years and then fell out of arting altogether for quite a while. When I started again, I slowly - li'l bit by li'l bit - built up a set of Derwent watercolour pencils, and when I used them it was always as a wet medium. I guess that's just how my interests developed. If you're new to my blogginess you can see illustrations using these pencils HERE.  Adding Derwent Inktense and Graphitint sets just reinforced pencils as a tool for wet mixed media.

THEN, when mum died earlier this year I had to move, clearing the equivalent of a three-storey house down to a very, VERY small storage unit. I had to be extremely judicious with what I kept and harden my heart to everything else which just plain had to go. The stress was ooooooooo...very stressy McStressface. So I set aside a sketchbook and one set of Crayola coloured pencils that mum bought me AGES ago that I'd never ever used because they weren't water soluble (SUCH a pencil snob!). I made a quick little journal from odds and ends to help me drain my brain every night while I packed up the rest of my life, and started using those pencils as it seems, as I've said before, that I can't live without colour! I'll share a bit of that journal with you in my next post - kind of a 'part two' thing....

SO it turns out that those pencils are AWESOME. AWE-SOME! I can't find any more on websites so I'm worried that Crayola don't make them any more (they have been sitting idle in my old studio for YEARS!) They layer like an absolute dream! I forgot how much fun it was to scribble layer after layer of colour and just play!  As an antidote to Monday blues, I'm going to share some scribbly, sketchy, bright, garish pencilly fun with you and hope it lifts your day! They're not gonna hang in any gallery, but BOY oh boy were they a load of fun!

I guess the moral of the post is not to dismiss ANY art product until you've had a good old play with it - you never know what fun is waiting for you and your arty muse!  Don't forget the silly side of artyness!! Photos will now follow - sending hugs to all, Shroo :) xxx




10 comments:

  1. sending back hugs to you-you are an amazing artist-I love viewing your works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are these the pencils http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-Colored-Pencils-Long-50-Pack/17176158

      Delete
    2. Hi Kathy - sadly not....I mean, they're close that's for sure and nice and bright, but not as yumcious and gorgeous as the Crayola Pro, which are the ones I have. Is it possible to marry one's art supplies? HA! I love my art supplies SOOOOOO MUCH!! Yummy :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I just love your art so much. SO much - I become a dribbling fan girl with each post - it's most unseemly. You DO so much too. I consider it an achievement to do one small sketch over a period of days and you do THIS. Wow. I mean the birds must have taken forever and a day they are amazing. Your newer sketchiness is just glorious colour - I see why you love those pencils but I bet they love you too.

    Great post. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I point out that you have kids!!! I'm AMAZED how much you achive whilst juggling family and studying too! The Colonel might be spoiled and needy but as long as I wrap him up warm in his wubbie blankie and feed him his nippits at the appropriate hour he's mostly happy and unlikely to go Caligula and have me thrown to lions or some such!!!

      Thank you for your fabulous support - Shroo:)x

      Delete
  3. p.s Tuesday is fast becoming my hate day. Tuesday is Maths day. We are on Algebra. Why do I have to learn Algebra to take an art course? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh.....Been there..... The buggers made me sit my maths GCSE twice in the same week- once at the college and once at the uni. They're all - ALL - evil and should be dropped into a big hole with pointy, bitey creatures at the bottom. You'll be epic - you're awesome!

      I'll start digging a hole and sharpening the Colonel's spare mice.....

      Delete
  4. Twice! *Shudder* I knew I could rely on The Colonel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, you make me want to hunt out my pencils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT!!! Love your denim heart ornaments - I so wanna make some now.....All-year-round hanging ornaments.....FABulous! xxx

      Delete